The complex of University buildings extends over a whole block of the Old Town. Its original architecture attracts the visitor’s attention. The construction of the University buildings was carried on over t­he centuries under the changing influences of the Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, and Classical styles. The campus began to take shape in about 1570 in a city quarter belonging to the Bishop of Vilnius. By that time, the area had already been built up with brick houses. It later gradually expanded to the east and to the north, towards St.John’s church. Bounded by four streets, the campus is composed of 12 buildings, some of them having multiple structures, the Church of St.John, and the belfry. The buildings are arranged around 13 courtyards of different shape and size. At present the Rector’s Office, the Library, the Faculties of Philology, Philosophy, and History, as well as some interdisciplinary centers are situated in the old town.

 

M. K. Sarbievijus Courtyard

M. K. Sarbievijus Courtyard

405806 565949120104660 537917596 n copy248192 566384643394441 842086396 n1011535 622988131067425 1551465730 n copy

S. Daukantas Courtyard

S. Daukantas Courtyard

252435 566807563352149 1922878774 n972100 607788642587374 1836298125 n1231310 615099701856268 1373254371 n941187 568491596517079 2098816284 n

A. Mickevičius Courtyard

A. Mickevičius Courtyard

Mickevicius1Mickevicius2mickeviciaus-k

S. Stanevičius Courtyard

S. Stanevičius Courtyard

Stanevicius1Stanevicius3stanevicius

Arcade Courtyard

Arcade Courtyard

arkadu2arkadu1arkadu3

L. Gucevičius Courtyard

L. Gucevičius Courtyard

Gucevicius1Gucevicius2

 

kiemeliai