Address: Universiteto g. 5, LT-01513 Vilnius
Office hours: contact by e-mail
Fields of research
- Poetics (esp. the notions of difficulty and imagery)
- Empirical studies of literature
- 20th Century Anglo-American and Italian Poetry
- Creative writing
- English seminars in linguistics: The language of poetry
- Introduction to psycholinguistics
- 20th century Anglo-American Poetry
Monographs – academic
- Difficulty in Poetry: A Stylistic Model. Palgrave, London, 2019.
Books – creative writing (poetry in Italian)
- D. Castiglione, Doveri di una costruzione (Industria&Letteratura 2022)
- D. Castiglione, Non di fortuna (Pequod 2017)
- D. Castiglione, Per ogni frazione (Campanotto 2010)
- Castiglione, D. (2022). Sapienziale. Forme e usi della sentenza nella poesia italiana contemporanea [Full of wisdom: forms and uses of maxims in contemporary Italian poetry]. Polisemie; III: 41-80.
- Foregrounding (with van Peer, W., Sopčák, P., Fialho, O., Jacobs, A. M., Hakemulder, F). In: Handbook of Empirical Literary Studies. Donald Kuiken & Arthur M. Jacobs (eds). Berlin, Boston: De Gruyter, 2021, 145-176
- Castiglione, D. (2021b). Maria Pia Quintavalla fra Lettere giovani (1990) e Il cantare (1991). In: La poesia italiana degli anni Ottanta. Esordi e conferme, vol. IV [Italian poetry from the 80s]. Sabrina Stroppa (ed). Lecce: Pensa MultiMedia, 171-194
- The stylistic construction of verbal imagery in poetry. In Znaki czy nieznaki? [‘Signs or not signs?’] III. Józefina Piątkowska & Giennadij Zeldowicz (eds). Universityof Warsaw publications, 2020, 43-79.
- Castiglione, D. (2020). Nel mondo sensibile: focus descrittivo ed empatia nella poesia italiana contemporanea [In the sensible world: descriptive focus and empathy in contemporary Italian poetry], Enthymema; 25: 423-444
- D. Castiglione, “Difficult poetry processing: reading times and the narrativity hypothesis”. Soon to appear on a special 2017 issue of Language and Literature
- D. Castiglione, ‘The channel of (mis)communication: semantic and pragmatic deviances in two poems by Geoffrey Hill and Susan Howe’ PALA 2013 conference proceedings
- D. Castiglione, ‘The semantics of difficult poems: deriving a checklist of linguistic phenomena’. Journal of Literary Semantics, 2013; 42(1): 115-140
- D. Castiglione, ‘Sereni e il processo traduttivo: analisi sincronica e diacronica di una versione da Williams’ [Sereni and the translation process: a synchronic and diachronic analysis of a poem by Williams]. Strumenti Critici, 2013, a. XXVIII, 267-288
- 2011-2015 PhD - University of Nottingham, UK – pass with minor corrections
Thesis title: Difficulty in Poetry: a Linguistic and Empirical Perspective (University of Nottingham). Examines the complex yet underexplored notion of ‘difficulty’ in poetry. Combines insights from literary criticism with tools from linguistics and psychology to develop a new explanatory model.
- 2011 Four week course in Hungarian language (University of Pécs)
- 2008-2010 MA in English and Spanish – University of Pavia, Department of Foreign Languages, Italy
- 2008 Five month ERASMUS in Malaga, Spain
- 2004-2007 BA in English and Spanish – University of Pavia, Department of Foreign Languages, Italy
- Organizer of IALS (International Association of Literary Semantics) 2021 conference
- Member of the Multiple Labs for Empirical Literary Studies COST-action project
- Reviewer for Language and Literature, peer-reviewer for Journal of Literary Semantics
- Promoted and co-organised a symposium at the University of Nottingham
- Co-founded the still active Stylistics & Discourse Analysis reading group
- Co-founded the magazine Poetry in Reality and coordinated publications
- L’italiano dei poeti (The Italian of poets): poetry festival
- Mind sharpener series (academic talks for non-academic audiences)
I supervise in various areas of linguistic and literary analyses (Stylistics, Poetics, Discourse Analysis). Past successfully supervised bachelor projects include: extended metaphors in popular science communication, a stylistic analysis of political discourse in TV series, the stylistic representation of characters’ anxiety in Poe’s short stories, the representation of women from Victorian to contemporary poetry.